Wednesday 25 April 2012

Heaviside - April Doers of the Month

 

"WASTED GENERATION will be available for the first time ever on May 25th at the Pawn Shop on Whyte Ave. in Edmonton,"  

from their website: www.heaviside.ca 


Heaviside is a local Edmonton rock band. I've seen them live a number of times at the Starlite Room and Brixx. When they asked me to review their newest CD, I was pretty stoked. Seeing a band live is SO different than listening to a recorded album.

And usually, for me, it's the other way around. Learning to love a band through their albums, then seeing them live.


First off, go see these guys live. If you like this album, you'll love them live. The voice of the lead singer  is phenomenally stretched beyond a normal human being's range. Wasted Generation captures it well, but hearing it live is whole other experience.

Secondly, what a well mastered album. You guys must have had to deal with some assholes before getting someone this good!

Third, the tracks:

I think my favourite is Eva. It's super catchy, and I always find myself dancing around my living room when I listen to it. And I hear it's about the drummer's girlfriend? Enticing.

My hidden super favourite is Bring It On. It's loud and says, "I'm in your face and I'm not getting out of it til I get what I want." It makes me feel very powerful and very Zen at the same time. I can't explain it. 

Air guitar? Sure! Best one to rock out to is Queen For A Day, definitely. The riffs that you hear throughout the album combine here to make a super track worthy of air anything, really. Air drums, air bass, air bottle blowing. Whatever tickles your fancy, really.

As a whole, the album is a great listen. Something I could imagine people having good sex to. Something I want in this world. It's wholesome rock. There's no gimmicks, no cheese, no flair. Just a great voice with great musicians playing rock music.

This is why these guys are my April Doers of the Month! They've been working together for years and they've put some damn hard work into completing this album. Congratulations, guys! Well deserved props.

Check them out at the Pawn Shop on May 25th for their release!
(DO IT, cause I won't be here, and I wanna hear about it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment